Over Exercising – How Does It Affect Your Weight Losing?
Nah… Until today, that I learned that over-exercising can be bad.
So why is it so? Well, let me explained to you now.
When we mention over exercising, we mean making our exercise routines more frequent, harder and faster. However, it does not mean that it is better.
You may face some or possibly all the following withdrawal symptoms like me:
- Your athletic performance will decline – Excessive training with inadequate rest will result in poorer performance. This is because it is during the recovery periods that your cardiovascular and muscular systems will improve to greater levels to cope with the amount of stress you have applied. Not resting well means shorter recovery period.
- You feel tired (fatigue) instead of energized – Most people increase their intensity of exercise but not their length of recovery time. As a result, your body would have stressed heavily again, before it could fully recover.
- Your immune system may weaken – Although exercise can boost your immune system, especially for certain upper respiratory diseases but it is only if you exercise moderately and regularly over a period.
- You may not sleep well – Over-exercise is known to be a major cause of insomnia because excessive exercise especially endurance training, will make your body produce more stress hormones and activate your stress response. Stress hormones can weaken your immune system too.
So how does over-exercising affect your weight losing? Well, in a few ways, if you ask me.
- You will eat more – When you exercise more, you will grow hungrier and possibly eat more to cure your hunger.
- You will eat faster – When we grow hungrier, we may eat faster. As a simple eating rule, we should give ourselves 20 mins to finish a meal so that our brain can tell how much we have eaten. Eating faster may also impair your glucose tolerance & insulin resistance, thus affecting metabolism & fat burning.
- You will eat immediately after exercise – Growing more hungry may increase our chance of eating immediately after exercise, which may in turn, limit the effectiveness of our workouts, since our body will tend to store any new calories you have just consumed.
- You will eat at night – As our activity levels are low at night, it is not recommended to consume any food after 8PM at night. However, if you are unable to sleep due to over-exercise, you will tend to eat due to hunger, especially if you did not eat enough for dinner.
I have personally experienced ALL symptoms above. Please feel free to ask me any question you have below or if you have experienced any other withdrawal symptom not mentioned above.